Sunday, December 26, 2004

Leisure

When I was a child I used to feel terrible about my father having to go to work, leaving us kids at home with our mother, having fun all day. I wondered how I would cope without endless days off when I was grown up.

The answer is that I now delude myself into thinking that one day I will have a job where I can just take as much time off as I like. I'm 40, and time is ticking by. One day I'll set up on my own doing some sort of engineering, or maybe I'll take a change in direction and make furniture or something instead. One day...

I remember a British "Horizon" documentary from 25 years ago which caused quite a stir, prompting questions in parliament the next day. It asked how we would adjust to lives of leisure, working for only two days a week but with a high standard of living, because of the rise of the microchip. I was quite excited at the prospect. They needn't have worried. Human nature ensures that people without the imagination to do anything constructive by themselves (in other words most people) will always work long hours so that they can afford to have someone else fill their remaining leisure time for them.


2 Comments:

Blogger William said...

Keep up the good work, I will be back to check on your new updates. Incredible job! I have a blog/website that
might interest you

wooden fishing boat
http://www.classicwoody.com/

17 January 2006 at 22:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fundamental Basis of the Universe

The second question that will be dealt with is the question of how knowledge is acquired. This area of epistemology covers what is called "the regress problem", issues concerning epistemic distinctions such as that between experience and apriority as means of creating knowledge and that between analysis and synthesis as means of proof, and debates such as the one between empiricists and rationalists.

24 February 2007 at 18:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama